The Bethel AME Church congregation was organized in Acworth in 1864, originally sharing a church building with the Zion Hill Baptist Church. In 1871, trustees of the Bethel AME Church purchased one acre of land, and the present sanctuary was constructed sometime between 1871 and 1882.
The Romanesque Revival-style church has round-arched windows and decorative brickwork in the gable areas. The front vestibule and two asymmetrical bell towers with conical metal roofs were added in 1895, and a rear addition was constructed in 1973. The interior of the sanctuary is arranged as a central-aisle plan and exhibits a magnificent wooden coffered ceiling constructed in a herringbone design.
Bethel AME Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, and designated as an Acworth Historic Landmark in 1998.